The school was founded in 1919 by the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth as a private, Catholic school for girls. It was originally located in Litewska street in central Warsaw. In 1926 it was moved to the building in Czerniakowska street where it has been up till the present moment.
During the Second World War and German occupation of Poland in 1939 – 1944, classes were held in conspiracy. During that period over 115 students managed to pass their final examinations.
After the war Poland`s new Communist authorities annexed the school building which had been home to both the convent and the boarding school. The former high school was allowed to continue; its space, however, was limited to just one floor (the third), and the number of class groups was reduced to four, thus allowing for only 120 students. The numerous attempts on the part of the Sisters of Holy Family at winning the building back proved in vain.
It was only with the change of the political situation in Poland and the emergence of Solidarity in 1980 that the official attitude towards Catholic schools began to change. In response to parents` appeal the limit on class groups was abolished in 1981. In 1990 the entire building was returned to its lawful owner – the Order of Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth. Major overhaul of the school building that had begun in August 1990 was finished in November 1991.
Now our school is one of the most modern and best equipped schools in Warsaw.
As a response to the educational reform and changing needs of the local community the school broadened its offer and in 2017 opened for the first time in a 100-years’ history classes for boys in the primary school. This change did not mean abandoning the idea of single-sex education – in the primary school there are separate class groups for boys and girls, allowing both to develop in an environment that fosters their unique needs. Mother Frances Siedliska (1842 – 1902), the founder of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, is the patron saint of our school.